Sunday, 13 July 2008

Applying for a Law Conversion

Nowadays, law conversions are a popular route for graduates of all disciplines. If you have managed to, or are about to attain at least a 2.ii (Lower Second Class) in your degree, there is a strong possibility you could be accepted onto a large number of conversion courses which run across the country.

Many people decide to follow the one year course, otherwise known as the CPE (Common Professional Examination) or GDL (General Diploma of Law) which gives you the basics of a legal education in a intensive twelve month period. These courses can be taken at several universities, or more commonly at franchised institutions such as the College of Law or BPP.

Fewer people apply for a condensed undergraduate degree, something which fits the three years of a typical law undergraduate into two, and is commonly known as 'Senior Status' or 'Affiliated' law.

I've got a 2.ii in my degree - is there any point in my taking a conversion course?
Although several courses admit candidates with a Lower Second Class degree, the hard truth is that it is going to be difficult for someone with a 2.ii in their undergraduate to compete in an extremely tough and overpopulated career sector. It is not impossible, but one will need to perform well in whichever course is chosen, and subsequently in their LPC or BVC.

The former route will certainly be easier to follow in terms of rural firms, but as the Bar and Magic Circle are notoriously competitive, one wishing to stand a good chance in pursuing a career as a Barrister or a London solicitor after a 2.ii is likely to have to excel in both their conversion and BVC in order to even stand a small chance.

However, if one is more interested in smaller non-commercial firms, then there may well be various job opportunities available. Obtaining as much legal work experience as possible to supplement a lower degree will also help greatly in any case.

No comments: